There's no denying that this day is special. I begin looking forward to it about a month in advance, others months before. Since ancient times there has been some form of celebration of the birth of Christ. The celebration has evolved and merged with traditions of cultures for centuries. History and tradition have made these weeks in December what they are to me today. There is unspeakable joy that warms my heart. Joy to the world, as the song proclaims, the Lord has come. Jesus, the Son of God, Prince of Peace, etc., was born as a humble infant! Born that man no more may die, born to give us second birth through his death on a Roman cross and resurrection!
So today we celebrate the day our Savior was born by giving out of our abundance of blessings to those around us. Here's where I get confused. We were not saved to worship the baby Jesus on Christmas day alone.
I was not saved to worship the baby Jesus on Christmas day 2010.
My joy withers and nearly dies though soon after.
I can understand why society returns to the gray, humdrum monotony of life. I know it's not politically correct to say it but society thinks Christmas is about getting what they want rather than giving. There are definitely exceptions, I know.
Here I am though, a Christ follower, and I lose that warm, happy feeling I get remembering Christ's birth. It's as if after today his birth means nothing until next year.
Next week it's back to school, back to life. I've never been very joyful. I'd like to say it's my personality but I sometimes wonder if I overuse that excuse. Why, in my day to day relationship with Christ, do I never experience the joy I do today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment