03 August 2010

Thoughts about who I want to be

Yesterday was my grandma's birthday. To celebrate our family, including my aunt and uncle who were visiting from Texas, went to Whistling Jack Lodge for brunch. I love my family dearly. I was struck by something my grandma prayed though before our meal. She thanked God for my grandpa. It's been 11 years since my grandpa died and she still thanks God for the blessing he was to her, our family and everyone he ever met. If you ever ask me who I look up to I will tell you my grandpa, Chet Dyer, and that is exactly why. I want to be the type of man, husband, father, friend or coworker who people, family or whoever, will thank God for even after I've been gone for 11 years. I still miss him, a lot sometimes. A few weeks ago my heart was aching, crying out to God for the opportunities I lost to learn more from him but I was instantaneously encouraged to know that I was blessed to actually have lived for 12 years of my life with my grandpa being there for me. Even now I am blessed by the legacy that he passed on to everyone in my family.

No comments: