20 October 2010

Lessons from Crazy Love and my life #1

There might not be a #2 but we'll see.

I'm co-leading a small group this fall and I chose to do it on the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan. I read it last month and was blown away by how it changed how I viewed God and my relationship with Him. I chose to study this in our group because I think it's a powerful tool. If my view of God was so radically changed by it I'd like to imagine that, by going through this, the guys in my small group and I can make an impact on campus. Watch out Satan!

Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God". I'm having an awfully hard time comprehending both of these commands right now. Be still? How can I be still? I have things to do. A small group to lead. People to impress. Classes to pass. I'm doing this all for you God, right? I can't be still! Know you? What? There's no way I can do that! You're too big, perfect, powerful, and seemingly distant for me to really know you! Sometimes it's really hard for me to even know where to begin finding you.

I love this. I can't even begin to think that I can fully comprehend the vast greatness who is my Creator. He is holy. He is eternal. He is all-knowing. He is all-powerful. He is fair. He is just. I am not. Now that I've realized this I can be still and sit in wonder at the God I know who is so grand that my thoughts of the vastness of the universe can't measure up to Him. Nothing compares to Him. Nothing compares to Him. Nothing compares to Him. Do you get that? Even after writing that three times I don't think I do.

Joel, be still and know that I, the creator of that blade of grass you stepped on today AND the entire cosmos, want to have a personal relationship with you. Remember all those things you were worried about? You can forget about them now. I have them under control. You can trust me. I have a better plan for you.

Always

Did You rise the sun for me?
Or paint a million stars that I might
Know Your majesty?
Is Your voice upon the wind?
Is everything I've known marked
With my maker's fingerprints?

Breathe on me
Let me see Your face
Ever I will seek You

'Cause all You are, is all I want, always
Draw me close in Your arms
Oh God, I wanna be with You
Oh with you

Can I feel You in the rain?
Abandon all I am to have You
Capture me again
Let the earth resound with praise
Can You hear as all creation lives
To glorify one name?

No comments: